This week Stasha wants us to think of 10 summer memories. I don’t have a very good memory, because all week I thought this list was 10 things that remind us of summer. Summer memories, reminders of summer – not exactly the same thing. I’m going with the list that’s been in my head all week.
It’s the only way to get it out of there.
10 Things That Remind Me Of Summer
10. Otter Pops - Who doesn’t love them? I know it’s summer when I see the big box in the store.
9. The Beach - Sunshine, sand, and salt air – it’s my happy place. It’s also not in Alaska. Frick.
8. Dandelions - I know their weeds, but they’re kind of pretty. And picking them keeps the monsters busy for hours.
7. Margaritas - Dallas makes the best frozen margaritas. I think that’s what I’ll miss most about him this summer!
6. Strawberries - I don’t garden, I buy them. Jackson eats them by the handful. He sneaks them when he thinks I’m not looking, but he always hides the evidence well…
5. Sam Adams Summer Ale - It’s the best beer ever. It’s not summer until I have one. Or ten.
4. Summer Reading - Reading on the deck or the beach in complete silence. Wait, I have four dumb kids – that never happens. Texting snarky messages to my friends while the kids run in circles around me? That’s more like it.
3. Eating Outside - The best part of summer in Alaska is eating outside. Jackson makes a huge mess when he eats, like Animal from The Muppets. Every chance to eat outside is one less mess I have to clean up. That’s good, cleaning interferes with my drinking margarita time.
2. Geo Caching - We could do this all year-round, but Reese isn’t a big fan of the cold – so it’s a summer activity here. Since I can’t find my way to the house most of the time, it’s going to be a challenge without my compass (aka Dallas) this year.
1. Camping - We camped when I was a kid. We camp with our kids. I’ve never done it by myself, but this year (with my gaggle of girlfriends) we’re going to do it!